MM-associated circular RNA (Circ-MYBL2), a circular RNA (circRNA), participates in cancer biology. However, its role in gastric cancer (GC) is unclear. In this study, circ-MYBL2 was predicted to interact with precursor microRNA-92b (miR-92b). We then analyzed the role of circ-MYBL2 in GC and explored its crosstalk with miR-92b.
In this research Circ-MYBL2 and miR-92b (mature and precursor) accumulation was determined using reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-qPCR). The involvement of circ-MYBL2 in the maturation of miR-92b was analyzed using overexpression assays. The subcellular location of circ-MYBL2 was determined using nuclear fractionation assay. The binding of precursor miR-92b to circ-MYBL2 was analyzed through RNA-RNA pulldown assay. The role of circ-MYBL2 and miR-92b in GC cell proliferation was studied with BrdU assay.
We found that GC tissues exhibited increased mature miR-92b levels but decreased precursor miR-92b and circ-MYBL2 levels. Circ-MYBL2 was detected in both the nucleus and cytoplasm in GC cells, and it directly interacted with precursor miR-92b. Moreover, circ-MYBL2 overexpression increased precursor miR-92b expression and decreased mature miR-92b level. Furthermore, miR-92b (mature) increased GC cell proliferation, and circ-MYBL2 decreased GC cell proliferation and suppressed the effect of miR-92b on GC cell proliferation.
Circ-MYBL2 may absorb precursor miR-92b in the nucleus to suppress its role in promoting gastric cancer cell proliferation.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Gastric cancer.Lancet. 2016; 388: 2654-2664
- Burden of gastric cancer.Clinic Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020; 18: 534-542
- Circular RNAs: emerging role in cancer diagnostics and therapeutics.Front Mol Biosci. 2020; 7577938
- Treatment of gastric cancer.World J Gastroenterol. 2014; 20: 1635-1649
- Gastric cancer: epidemiology, prevention, classification, and treatment.Cancer Manag Res. 2018; 10: 239-248
- Recent updates in perioperative chemotherapy and recurrence pattern of gastric cancer.Ann Gastroenterol Surg. 2018; 2: 400-405
- Recurrence after preoperative chemotherapy and surgery for gastric adenocarcinoma: a multicenter study.Gastr Cancer. 2019; 22: 1263-1273
- Survival after recurrence in patients with gastric cancer who receive S-1 adjuvant chemotherapy: exploratory analysis of the ACTS-GC trial.BMC Cancer. 2018; 18: 449
- Validation of two prognostic models for recurrence and survival after radical gastrectomy for gastric cancer.Br J Surg. 2017; 104: 1235-1243
- CDH1 (E-Cadherin) mutation and gastric cancer: genetics, molecular mechanisms and guidelines for management.Cancer Manag Res. 2019; 11: 10477-10486
- Identification of molecular targets for the targeted treatment of gastric cancer using dasatinib.Oncotarget. 2020; 11: 535-549
- Wnt5a signaling in gastric cancer.Front Cell Dev Biol. 2020; 8: 110
- Advances in HER2-targeted therapy: novel agents and opportunities beyond breast and gastric cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2019; 25: 2033-2041
- The novel roles of circRNAs in human cancer.Mol Cancer. 2019; 18: 6
- Emerging roles of circRNA in formation and progression of cancer.J Cancer. 2019; 10: 5015-5021
- CircRNAs in gastric cancer: current research and potential clinical implications.FEBS Lett. 2021; 595: 2644-2654
- CircRNA_100290 promotes GC cell proliferation and invasion via the miR-29b-3p/ITGA11 axis and is regulated by EIF4A3.Cancer Cell Int. 2021; 21: 324
- Circular RNA circNRIP1 acts as a microRNA-149-5p sponge to promote gastric cancer progression via the AKT1/mTOR pathway.Mol Cancer. 2019; 18: 20
- circRNA circ-MYBL2 is a novel tumor suppressor and potential biomarker in multiple myeloma.Hum Cell. 2021; 34: 219-228
- circ-MYBL2 serves as a sponge for miR-361-3p promoting cervical cancer cells proliferation and invasion.Onco Targets Ther. 2019; 12: 9957-9964
- miR-92b promotes gastric cancer growth by activating the DAB2IP-mediated PI3K/AKT signalling pathway.Cell Prolif. 2020; 53: e12630
- miR‑92b promotes autophagy and suppresses viability and invasion in breast cancer by targeting EZH2.Int J Oncol. 2018; 53: 1505-1515
Published online: May 26, 2022
Accepted: May 9, 2022
Received: August 12, 2021
© 2022 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.