Endometriosis is a condition defined by the implantation of ectopic foci of the endometrial glands and stroma outside the uterine cavity. However, pleural effusion and ascites due to endometriosis, first described in 1954, are rare.
1Here, we present a case report of this condition and provide a literature review. The patient signed an informed consent form that was previously approved by the local ethics committee.
- Brews A.
Endometriosis including endometriosis of the diaphragm and Meig's syndrome.
Proc R Soc Med. 1954; 47: 461
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Endometriosis including endometriosis of the diaphragm and Meig's syndrome.Proc R Soc Med. 1954; 47: 461
- Unusual presentation of endometriosis with massive ascites and recurrent pleural effusion: a case report and review of the literature.Gynecol Surg. 2007; 4: 57-59
- Consider malignancy, but keep an open mind: an uncommon cause of pleural effusion, ascites and pelvic masses.J Hosp Med. 2018; 13 (4 Supplement 1)
- Endometriosis as a cause of massive ascites and pleural effusion.Chest. 2012; 142 (4 SUPPL 501A)
- Endometriosis presenting as bloody ascites and shock.J Emerg Med. 2010; 38: 30-32
- Infected endometrioma with ascites and bilateral pleural effusion.J Pak Med Assoc. 2001; 51: 262-263
- Oh, the places endometrium can go.J Gen Intern Med. 2018; 33 (Supplement 1 (580-581))
- A chocolate effusion – an unusual cause of elevated adenosine deaminase in the pleural fluid.Respir Med Case Rep. 2020; 16101260
- A case of hemorrhagic ascites due to endometriosis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2011; 106: S285-S286
- Massive ascites, pleural effusion, and diaphragmatic implants in a patient with endometriosis.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2010; 149: 117-118
- Endometriosis mimicking advanced ovarian cancer.Fertil Steril. 2006; 86: 219.e23-219.e25
- Pleural fluid accumulation due to intra-abdominal endometriosis: a case report and review of the literature.Thorax. 1996; 51: 1062-1063
- Massive ascites and pleural effusions associated with endometriosis.Abdom Imaging. 1994; 19: 475-476
- A systematic review: endometriosis presenting with ascites.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2010; 283: 513-518
- Massive pleural endometriosis.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2002; 22: 321-323
- Thoracic endometriosis syndrome other than pneumothorax: clinical and pathological findings.Ann Thorac Surg. 2017; 104: 1865-1871
Published online: May 16, 2022
Accepted: February 11, 2022
Received: January 6, 2021
© 2022 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.