Early screening is the most effective way to control breast cancer. Due to the lack of accurate biomarkers, early diagnosis of breast cancer is still very difficult. Therefore, it is necessary to discover new candidate genes of breast cancer and improve the early diagnosis and prognosis.
A DO-UniBIC gene screening method was proposed. First, Disease Ontology (DO) analysis was used to screen out breast cancer related genes from differentially expressed genes, and then the UniBIC algorithm was used to find all gene clusters with the same changing trend based on the longest common subsequence. In addition, an eight-gene prognostic model was constructed to assess the prognostic risk of breast cancer patients.
The prognostic analysis of the candidate genomes based on multivariate Cox proportional regression model revealed eight genes that were significantly related to prognosis. The eight genes were ACSL1, CD24, EMP1, JPH3, CAMK4, JUN, S100B and TP53AIP1. Among them, ACSL1 was a new potential breast cancer related gene screened by the DO-UniBIC method.
More comprehensive cancer-related genes can be screened based on the DO-UniBIC method, which can be used as the candidate gene set for prognostic analysis.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Progress in adjuvant systemic therapy for breast cancer.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2019; 16: 27-44
- Hyaluronic acid predicts poor prognosis in breast cancer patients: A protocol for systematic review and meta-analysis.Medicine (Baltimore). 2020; 99: e20438
- New developments in breast cancer screening and treatment.J Womens Health. 2017; 26: 5-8
- Novel key genes in triplenegative breast cancer identified by weighted gene coexpression network analysis.J Cell Biochem. 2019; 120: 16900-16912
- Association of mRNA expression levels of cullin family members with prognosis in breast cancer: An online database analysis.Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; 98: e16625
- Value-based analysis for breast cancer treatment: We don't know what we don't know.Ann Surg Oncol. 2019; 26: 1167-1169
- Biclustering algorithms for biological data nalysis: a survey.IEEE/ACM Trans Comput Biol Bioinf. 2004; 1: 24-45
- Biclustering on expression data: A review.J Biomed Inform. 2015; 57: 163-180
- Unibic: Sequential row-based biclustering algorithm for analysis of gene expression data.Sci Rep. 2016; 6 (23466–23466)
- Runibic: a bio-conductor package for parallel row-based bi-clustering of gene expression data.Bioinformatics. 2018; 34: 4302-4304
- Differential impact of age on survival in head and neck cancer according to classic cox regression and decision tree analysis.Clin Otolaryngol. 2019; 44: 244-253
- Development of prognostic signature and nomogram for patients with breast cancer.Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; 98: e14617
- TCGA-assembler: open-source software for retrieving and processing TCGA data.Nat Methods. 2014; 11: 599-600
- KEGG-expressed genes and pathways in intervertebral disc degeneration: Protocol for a systematic review and data mining.Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; 98: e15796
- KEGG-expressed genes and path ways in triple negative breast cancer: Protocol for a systematic review and data mining.Medicine (Baltimore). 2020; 99: e19986
- Precision lasso: accounting for correlations and linear dependencies in high-dimensional genomic data.Bioinformatics. 2019; 35: 1181-1187
- Prediction of digital terrestrial television coverage using machine learning regression.IEEE Trans Broadcast. 2019; 65: 702-712
- Biomarker expression analysis in different age groups revealed age was a risk factor for breast cancer.J Cell Physiol. 2020; 235: 4268-4278
- Gene expression assay in the management of early breast cancer.Curr Med Chem. 2019; 26: 2826-2839
- Comparing the performance of gene expression assays in breast cancer.Int J Cancer. 2019; 145 (1162–1162)
- Identification of breast cancer candidate genes using gene co-expression and protein-protein interaction information.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 36092-36100
- Casticin inhibits breast cancer cell migration and invasion by down-regulation of pi3k/akt signaling pathway.Biosci Rep. 2018; 38BSR20180738
- On Benjamini-Hochberg procedure applied to mid p-values.Journal of Statal Planning & Inference. 2020; 205: 34-45
- A new measure for gene expression bi-clustering based on non-parametric correlation.Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2013; 112: 367-397
- Kaplan-meier survival curves.Transfusion (Paris). 2020; 60: 670-672
Published online: April 22, 2022
Accepted: April 8, 2022
Received: January 29, 2021
© 2022 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.