Nocardia is an uncommon cause of septic arthritis. We found only 37 cases reported in the literature thus far. Amongst these, only five involved prosthetic joints. Three cases were caused by N. nova and one each by N. farcinica and asteroides. Septic arthritis due to Nocardia has a favorable outcome with a combination of surgical debridement and prolonged antimicrobial therapy of three to six months. For prosthetic joint infections, removal of hardware seems to carry a better prognosis. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole continues to remain the drug of choice.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Nocardiosis from 1888 to 2017.Microb Pathogenesis. 2018; 114: 369-384
- Clinical and laboratory features of the Nocardia spp. based on current molecular taxonomy.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2006; 19: 259-282
- Nocardiosis at the turn of the century.Medicine (Baltimore). 2009; 88: 250-261
- Nocardia arthritis: 3 cases and literature review.Medicine. 2015; 94: 1-7
- Nocardia septic arthritis complicating an anterior cruciate ligament repair.J Clin Microbiol. 2015; 53: 2760-2762
- A case of empyema and septic arthritis due to Nocardia farcinica.Clin Case Rep. 2017;
- Nocardia asteroids infection of an Austin-Moore hemiarthroplasty in a nonimmunocompromised host. A case report.Bull Hosp Jt Dis Orthop Inst. 1989; 49: 107-110
- Nocardia infection of a joint prosthesis complicating systemic lupus erythematosus.Lupus. 2009; 9: 304-306
- Nocardia nova septic arthritis following total knee replacement: a case report.J Orthop Surg Hong Kong. 2007; 15: 390-392
- Nocardia prosthetic knee infection successfully treated by one-stage exchange: case report and review.Acta Clin Belg. 2015; 70: 287-290
- The Nocardia farcinica infection developing after total knee arthroplasty surgery.Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2013; 47: 212-217
Published online: February 13, 2022
Accepted: January 26, 2022
Received: March 11, 2021
© 2022 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.