The study was a retrospective case-controlled study. We aimed to determine the clinical and laboratory features of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and compared the features of autoimmune thyroid disease (AITD) with those of SLE.
Materials and Methods
The study included 38 patients with SLE with AITD (SLE-AITD) and 190 age- and gender-matched SLE patients. The distribution of sociodemographic and clinical factors was compared between the SLE-AITD and SLE groups using Chi-square tests for gender and t tests for others. Univariate and multivariate logistic regression models were used to identify factors associated with the prevalence of AITD among SLE patients.
In univariate analysis, malar rash, oral ulcers, serositis, anti-double-stranded DNA antibody positivity (anti-dsDNA+), anti-Sjögren's syndrome type A antibodies (SSA), anti-Sjögren's syndrome type B antibodies (SSB), low complement 3 (C3), and low complement 4 (C4) were significantly different between the SLE-AITD and SLE groups. There were no significant differences among other clinical or laboratory features. In multivariate analysis, serositis (adjusted odds ratio [AOR], 3.64; P = 0.00), anti-dsDNA+ (AOR, 0.30; P = 0.01) and low C3 (AOR, 0.30; P = 0.02) were all associated with SLE-AITD.
In our study, serositis was a risk factor for AITD, so we propose that AITD should be considered in lupus patients with serositis.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Systemic lupus erythematosus.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 2110-2121
- A volcanic explosion of autoantibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus: a diversity of 180 different antibodies found in SLE patients.Autoimmun Rev. 2015; 14: 75-79
- Autoimmune thyroid disorders.Autoimmun Rev. 2015; 14: 174-180
- Hashimoto thyroiditis: clinical and diagnostic criteria.Autoimmun Rev. 2014; 13: 391-397
- Does Sjögren syndrome or autoimmune thyroid disease influence lupus nephritis?.Lupus. 2010; 19: 150
- Introducing polyautoimmunity: secondary autoimmune diseases no longer exist.Autoimmune Dis. 2012; 2012254319
- Autoimmune thyroid disease and autoimmune rheumatic disorders: a two-sided analysis.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009; 1173: 211-216
- Is there a common genetic basis for autoimmune diseases?.Clin Dev Immunol. 2006; 13: 185-195
- Evaluation of genetic association between an ITGAM non-synonymous SNP (rs1143679) and multiple autoimmune diseases.Autoimmun Rev. 2012; 11: 276-280
- Evaluation of 19 autoimmune disease-associated loci with rheumatoid arthritis in a Colombian population: evidence for replication and gene-gene interaction.J Rheumatol. 2011; 38: 1866-1870
- Autoimmune thyroid disease in Colombian patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2015; 83: 943-950
- Autoimmune thyroid disease in a cohort of Malaysian SLE patients: frequency, clinical and immunological associations.Lupus. 2016; 25: 67-74
- Updating the American college of rheumatology revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Rheum. 1997; 40: 1725
- Derivation and validation of the systemic lupus international collaborating clinics classification criteria for systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Rheum. 2012; 64: 2677-2686
- Systemic lupus erythematosus and thyroid disease - Experience in a single medical center in Taiwan.J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2017;
- Derivation of the SLEDAI. A disease activity index for lupus patients. The committee on prognosis studies in SLE..Arthritis Rheum. 1992; 35: 630-640
- Increased risk of thyroid diseases in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a nationwide population-based Study in Korea.PLoS One. 2017; 12e179088
- Gene-environment interaction between HLA-DRB1 shared epitope and heavy cigarette smoking in predicting incident rheumatoid arthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2010; 69: 54-60
- The kaleidoscope of autoimmunity: multiple autoimmune syndromes and familial autoimmunity.Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2007; 3: 623-635
- Genetic and epigenetic mechanisms in thyroid autoimmunity.Immunol Res. 2012; 54: 204-213
- Association analysis of the R620W polymorphism of protein tyrosine phosphatase PTPN22 in systemic lupus erythematosus families: increased T allele frequency in systemic lupus erythematosus patients with autoimmune thyroid disease.Arthritis Rheum. 2005; 52: 2396-2402
- R620W polymorphism of protein tyrosine phosphatase PTPN22 in Egyptian children and adolescents with systemic lupus erythematosus: relation to thyroid autoimmunity.Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2013; 25: 143-149
- Simultaneous development of SLE-like syndrome and autoimmune thyroiditis following alpha-interferon treatment.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 1998; 16: 107-108
- Systemic lupus erythematosus arising during interferon-alpha therapy for cryoglobulinemic vasculitis associated with hepatitis C.Clin Rheumatol. 2005; 24: 178-181
- Carbimazole-induced lupus.BMJ Case Rep. 2013; 2013: 1-6
- Propylthiouracil-induced systemic lupus erythematosus.Lancet. 1989; 2: 568
- Drug-induced lupus.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007; 1108: 166-182
- Systemic lupus erythematosus: clinical and immunologic patterns of disease expression in a cohort of 1,000 patients. The European working party on systemic lupus erythematosus.Med (Baltimore). 1993; 72: 113-124
- Thyrotoxic pericarditis: an underappreciated phenomenon.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 198: 32-33
- Acute pericarditis: unique comorbidity of thyrotoxic crisis with Graves' disease.Int J Cardiol. 2014; 171: e129-e130
Spodick D. The Pericardium: A Comprehensive Textbook. New York: Marcel Dekker; 997297.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus with and without anti-dsdna antibodies: analysis from a large monocentric cohort.Mediat Inflamm. 2015; 2015328078
- Secondary Sjogren's syndrome in systemic lupus erythematosus defines a distinct disease subset.J Rheumatol. 2010; 37: 1143-1149
- Evidence-based guidelines for the use of immunologic tests: antinuclear antibody testing.Arthritis Rheum. 2002; 47: 434-444
Published online: July 02, 2018
Accepted: June 25, 2018
Received: January 16, 2018
☆The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
✯✯This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
© 2018 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.