We report the case of a patient with a BRCA2 germline mutation who developed a localized pleomorphic soft tissue sarcoma of the leg with poor prognostic features. BRCA2 germline mutations were not previously reported to be associated with pleomorphic sarcoma. BRCA2 loss-of-heterozygosity was found in the tumor, resulting in a complete BRCA2 loss-of-function. BRCA2 deficiency is associated with sensitivity to cisplatin-based chemotherapy in breast and ovarian cancer patients. We used a cisplatin-based chemotherapy. A rapid major partial response was obtained, which allowed a curative and conservative surgical resection of the sarcoma followed by adjuvant irradiation. This case illustrates that sarcoma patients may present unexpected but targetable genetic abnormalities and that BRCA2 loss-of-function may be targetable in sarcoma as it is associated with enhanced sensitivity to cisplatin. Our observation emphasizes the input of genomic medicine in clinical practice, its importance for treatment decisions, and the overlap between constitutional and somatic genetics.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical approach in soft tissue tumors.in: J Klijanienko J. Lagace R. Soft Tissue Tumors: A Multidisciplinary Diagnostic Approach. Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken, NJ2010
- Systemic treatment of soft-tissue sarcoma-gold standard and novel therapies.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2014; 11: 187-202
- Sarcomas in TP53 germline mutation carriers: a review of the IARC TP53 database.Cancer. 2012; 118: 1387-1396
- High response rates to neoadjuvant platinum-based therapy in ovarian cancer patients carrying germ-line BRCA mutation.Cancer Lett. 2015; 369: 363-367
- Niraparib maintenance therapy in platinum-sensitive, recurrent ovarian cancer.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 2154-2164
- Phase I, dose-escalation, two-part trial of the PARP inhibitor talazoparib in patients with advanced germline BRCA1/2 mutations and selected sporadic cancers.Cancer Discov. 2017; 7: 620-629
- Neurofibromatosis type 1 molecular diagnosis: what can NGS do for you when you have a large gene with loss of function mutations?.Eur J Hum Genet. 2015; 23: 596-601
- Cancers associated with BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations other than breast and ovarian.Cancer. 2015; 121: 2474-2475
- Inherited DNA-repair gene mutations in Men with metastatic prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 443-453
- Germline mutations in DNA repair genes in lung adenocarcinoma.J Thorac Oncol. 2017; 12: 1673-1678
- Prevention and screening in BRCA mutation carriers and other breast/ovarian hereditarycancer syndromes: ESMO clinical practice guidelines for cancer prevention and screening.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: v103-v110
- Monogenic and polygenic determinants of sarcoma risk: an international genetic study.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 1261-1271
- Integrative clinical genomics of metastatic cancer.Nature. 2017; 548: 297-303
- Cancer predisposing germline mutations in patients (pts) with urothelial cancer (UC) of the renal pelvis (R-P), ureter (U) and bladder (B).J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35 (4510–4510)
- Integrative analysis of complex cancer genomics and clinical profiles using the cBioPortal.Sci Signal. 2013; 6: pl1
- The cBio cancer genomics portal: an open platform for exploring multidimensional cancer genomics data.Cancer Discov. 2012; 2: 401-404
- Review of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) mechanisms of action and rationale for targeting in cancer and other diseases.Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr. 2014; 24: 15-28
- Trabectedin as a chemotherapy option for patients with BRCA deficiency.Cancer Treat Rev. 2016; 50: 175-182
Published online: May 01, 2018
Accepted: April 28, 2018
Received: January 16, 2018
☆The authors have no financial or other conflicts of interest to disclose.
© 2018 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.