Materials and Methods
Key Indexing Terms
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
- Alcohol abuse, the alveolar macrophage and pneumonia.Am J Med Sci. 2012; 343: 244-247
- The effect of chronic alcohol abuse on the incidence of ARDS and the severity of the multiple organ dysfunction syndrome in adults with septic shock: an interim and multivariate analysis.Chest. 1999; 116: 97S-98SS
- Alcohol, immunosuppression, and the lung.Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2005; 2: 428-432
- The alcoholic lung: epidemiology, pathophysiology, and potential therapies.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007; 292: L813-L823
- Zinc supplementation restores PU.1 and Nrf2 nuclear binding in alveolar macrophages and improves redox balance and bacterial clearance in the lungs of alcohol-fed rats.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2011; 35: 1519-1528
- Alcohol ingestion disrupts alveolar epithelial barrier function by activation of macrophage-derived transforming growth factor beta1.Respir Res. 2013; 14
- Effect of chronic ethanol ingestion on alveolar type II cell: glutathione and inflammatory mediator-induced apoptosis.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2001; 25: 1078-1085
- Advanced glycation end products and their receptor in age-related, non-communicable chronic inflammatory diseases; overview of clinical evidence and potential contributions to disease.Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2016;
- Advanced glycation end products enhance macrophages polarization into M1 phenotype through activating RAGE/NF-kappaB pathway.Biomed Res Int. 2015; 2015: 732450
- Soluble form of the receptor for advanced glycation end products is a marker of acute lung injury but not of severe sepsis in critically ill patients.Crit Care Med. 2011; 39: 480-488
- Chronic alcohol ingestion exacerbates lung epithelial barrier dysfunction in HIV-1 transgenic rats.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2011; 35: 1866-1875
- HMGB1 Contributes to the expression of P-glycoprotein in mouse epileptic brain through toll-like receptor 4 and receptor for advanced glycation end products.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0140918
- Glutathione attenuates ethanol-induced alveolar macrophage oxidative stress and dysfunction by downregulating NADPH oxidases.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2014; 306: L429-L441
- Alcohol causes alveolar epithelial oxidative stress by inhibiting the nuclear factor (erythroid-derived 2)-like 2-antioxidant response element signaling pathway.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2013; 48: 511-517
- Ethanol ingestion increases activation of matrix metalloproteinases in rat lungs during acute endotoxemia.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999; 160: 1354-1360
- Alcoholism causes alveolar macrophage zinc deficiency and immune dysfunction.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 188: 716-723
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma regulates chronic alcohol-induced alveolar macrophage dysfunction.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2016; 55: 35-46
- Chronic ethanol ingestion in rats decreases granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor receptor expression and downstream signaling in the alveolar macrophage.J Immunol. 2005; 175: 6837-6845
- A multimodal RAGE-specific inhibitor reduces amyloid beta-mediated brain disorder in a mouse model of Alzheimer disease.J Clin Invest. 2012; 122: 1377-1392
- Receptor for advanced glycation end-products is a marker of type I cell injury in acute lung injury.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006; 173: 1008-1015
☆The first 2 authors (BSS, EEE) shared first authorship.
☆☆The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
☆☆Dr. Staitieh was supported by K08AA024512, Dr. Egea and Ms. Amah were supported by T32HL116271, and Dr. Guidot was supported by R01AA017627.