Key Indexing Terms
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
- Forecasting the future of cardiovascular disease in the United States: a policy statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2011; 123: 933-944
- Diabetes mellitus and ischemic stroke in the young: clinical features and long-term prognosis.Neurology. 2011; 76: 1831-1837
- Risk factors for ischaemic and intracerebral haemorrhagic stroke in 22 countries (the INTERSTROKE study): a case-control study.Lancet. 2010; 376: 112-123
- Diabetes mellitus, fasting blood glucose concentration, and risk of vascular disease: a collaborative meta-analysis of 102 prospective studies.Lancet. 2010; 375: 2215-2222
- Probability of stroke: a risk profile from the Framingham Study.Stroke. 1991; 22: 312-318
- Diabetes mellitus: a risk factor for ischemic stroke in a large biracial population.Stroke. 2013; 44: 1500-1504
- Diabetes mellitus and risk of stroke and its subtypes among Japanese: the Japan public health center study.Stroke. 2011; 42: 2611-2614
- Type 2 diabetes and risk of non-embolic ischaemic stroke in Japanese men and women.Diabetologia. 2004; 47: 2137-2144
- Short-term predictors of incident stroke in older adults. The Cardiovascular Health Study.Stroke. 1996; 27: 1479-1486
- Stroke patterns, etiology, and prognosis in patients with diabetes mellitus.Neurology. 2004; 62: 1558-1562
- Prospective study of type 1 and type 2 diabetes and risk of stroke subtypes: the Nurses׳ Health Study.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 1730-1735
- Effect of pre-diabetes on future risk of stroke: meta-analysis.Br Med J. 2012; 344: e3564
- Diabetic and non-diabetic subjects with ischemic stroke: differences, subtype distribution and outcome.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2008; 18: 152-157
- Perfusion deficit parallels exacerbation of cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury in hyperglycemic rats.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 1997; 17: 553-559
- Is hyperglycaemia an independent predictor of poor outcome after acute stroke? Results of a long-term follow up study.Br Med J. 1997; 314: 1303-1306
- Acute hyperglycemia and acute hyperinsulinemia decrease plasma fibrinolytic activity and increase plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 in the rat.Acta Diabetol. 2001; 38: 71-76
- Admission glucose level and clinical outcomes in the NINDS rt-PA Stroke Trial.Neurology. 2002; 59: 669-674
- Higher fasting glucose next day after intravenous thrombolysis is independently associated with poor outcome in acute ischemic stroke.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2015; 24: 100-103
- Long-term postischemic stroke mortality in diabetes: a veteran cohort analysis.Stroke. 2008; 39: 2727-2731
- Hyperglycemia exacerbates brain edema and perihematomal cell death after intracerebral hemorrhage.Stroke. 2003; 34: 2215-2220
- Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2013; 44: 870-947
- European stroke initiative recommendations for stroke management-update 2003.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2003; 16: 311-337
- Treatment of hyperglycemia in ischemic stroke (THIS): a randomized pilot trial.Stroke. 2008; 39: 384-389
- Glucose regulation in acute stroke patients (GRASP) trial: a randomized pilot trial.Stroke. 2009; 40: 3804-3809
- Insulin for glycaemic control in acute ischaemic stroke.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; (Cd005346): 1
- The Stroke Hyperglycemia Insulin Network Effort (SHINE) trial protocol: a randomized, blinded, efficacy trial of standard vs. intensive hyperglycemia management in acute stroke.Int J Stroke. 2014; 9: 246-251
- Guidelines for the management of spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2015; 46: 2032-2060
- Update on cardiovascular outcomes at 30 years of the diabetes control and complications trial/epidemiology of diabetes interventions and complications study.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 39-43
- Intensive diabetes treatment and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 1 diabetes.New Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 2643-2653
- Cardiovascular effects of intensive lifestyle intervention in type 2 diabetes.New Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 145-154
- Effect of a multifactorial intervention on mortality in type 2 diabetes.New Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 580-591
- Program NHBPE. The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Bethesda (MD): National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (US), 2004.
- Evidence-based guideline for the management of high blood pressure in adults: report from the panel members appointed to the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8).J Am Med Assoc. 2014; 311: 507-520
- Tight blood pressure control and risk of macrovascular and microvascular complications in type 2 diabetes: UKPDS 38 UK Prospective Diabetes Study Group.Br Med J. 1998; 317: 703-713
- Effects of intensive blood-pressure control in type 2 diabetes mellitus.New Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 1575-1585
- Guidelines for the prevention of stroke in patients with stroke and transient ischemic attack: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2014; 45: 2160-2236
- A randomised, blinded, trial of clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients at risk of ischaemic events (CAPRIE). CAPRIE Steering Committee.Lancet. 1996; 348: 1329-1339
- Hemorrhagic transformation of ischemic stroke in diabetics on sulfonylureas.Ann Neurol. 2012; 72: 799-806
- Secondary prevention of macrovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes in the PROactive Study (PROspective pioglitAzone Clinical Trial In macroVascular Events): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1279-1289
Kernan WN, Viscoli CM, Furie KL, et al. Pioglitazone after Ischemic Stroke or Transient Ischemic Attack. The New England Journal of Medicine [epub ahead of print] 2016.
☆Grant support was provided from National Institute of Health, United States, grant (P20GM109040) and American Heart Association, United States, grant (14SDG1829003) (to WF). Grant support was also provided from National Institute of Health, United States, grants (NS079179 and NS094033) (to BO).
☆☆The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.