Materials and Methods
Key Indexing Terms
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
- Tooth loss in 776 treated periodontal patients.J Periodontol. 2010; 81: 244-250
- The mechanism of pocket formation. A light microscopic study on undecalcified human material.J Periodontol. 1988; 59: 215-221
- Periodontal disease: associations with diabetes, glycemic control and complications.Oral Dis. 2008; 14: 191-203
- Periodontitis and systemic inflammation: control of the local infection is associated with a reduction in serum inflammatory markers.J Dent Res. 2004; 83: 156-160
- Periodontal disease and C-reactive protein-associated cardiovascular risk.J Periodontal Res. 2004; 39: 236-241
- Inflammation and bone loss in periodontal disease.J Periodontol. 2008; 79: 1569-1576
- C-reactive protein as a systemic marker of inflammation in periodontitis.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2011; 30: 407-414
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Statistics Report: estimates of Diabetes and Its Burden in the United States, 2014. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 2014.
- Evidence that periodontal treatment improves diabetes outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Periodontol. 2013; 84: S153-S169
- Correlation of high sensitivity C-reactive protein and calcific aortic valve disease.Mayo Clin Proc. 2007; 82: 171-174
- Inflammatory markers and diabetic retinopathy in type 1 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 714-715
- Inflammation, aspirin, and the risk of cardiovascular disease in apparently healthy men.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 973-979
- Higher circulating hsCRP levels are associated with lower bone mineral density in healthy pre- and postmenopausal women: evidence for a link between systemic inflammation and osteoporosis.Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 1263-1271
- Evidence for a pathogenic role of nitric oxide in inflammation-induced osteoporosis.J Bone Miner Res. 1999; 14: 2137-2142
- Circulating levels of inflammatory markers predict change in bone mineral density and resorption in older adults: a longitudinal study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 93: 1952-1958
- Systematic review of type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus and risk of fracture.Am J Epidemiol. 2007; 166: 495-505
- Periodontal therapy reduces plasma levels of interleukin-6, C-reactive protein, and fibrinogen in patients with severe periodontitis and refractory arterial hypertension.J Periodontol. 2009; 80: 786-791
- Periodontal infections cause changes in traditional and novel cardiovascular risk factors: results from a randomized controlled clinical trial.Am Heart J. 2006; 151: 977-984
- Impact of periodontal disease on outcomes in diabetes.Contemp Clin Trials. 2015; 41: 93-99
- Assessment of therapy with continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion in an academic diabetes clinic.Endocr Pract. 2002; 8: 401-405
- Association between periodontopathogens and CRP levels in patients with periodontitis in Serbia.J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2011; 5: 10-16
- The effect of nonsurgical periodontal therapy on hemoglobin A1c levels in persons with type 2 diabetes and chronic periodontitis: a randomized clinical trial.J Am Med Assoc. 2013; 310: 2523-2532
Owens JB, Wilder RS, Southerland JH, et al. North Carolina internists׳ and endocrinologists׳ knowledge, opinions, and behaviors regarding periodontal disease and diabetes: need and opportunity for interprofessional education. J Dent Educ 2011;75(3): 329-338.
- Knowledge, awareness, and behaviors of endocrinologists and dentists for the relationship between diabetes and periodontitis.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014; 106: 428-434
- Knowledge of medical doctors in Turkey about the relationship between periodontal disease and systemic health.Braz Oral Res. 2015; 29: 55
- Knowledge about the association between periodontal diseases and diabetes mellitus: contrasting dentists and physicians.J Periodontol. 2011; 82: 360-366
- Standards of medical care in diabetes—2013.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: S11-S66
International Diabetes Federation Clinical Guidelines Task Force. Guideline on oral health for people with diabetes. International Diabetes Federation 2009.
- Periodontal disease and atherosclerotic vascular disease: does the evidence support an independent association? a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2012; 125: 2520-2544
- Periodontitis and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease: consensus report of the Joint EFP/AAP Workshop on Periodontitis and Systemic Diseases.J Clin Periodontol. 2013; 40: S24-S29
- The relationship between postmenopausal osteoporosis and periodontal disease.J Dent Hyg. 2013; 87: 336-344
- Sub-antimicrobial doxycycline for periodontitis reduces hemoglobin A1c in subjects with type 2 diabetes: a pilot study.Pharmacol Res. 2011; 64: 624-629
☆This study was funded by NIH/NIGMS, United States, grant number 1U54GM104944-01.
☆☆Some of the findings included in this article were presented in poster format at the American Diabetes Association Annual Conference, Boston, MA, June 5-9, 2015.
★The authors have no financial or other conflicts of interest to disclose.