Squamous cell carcinoma is a rare complication of chronic, severe, hidradenitis suppurativa. We describe a patient with a 20-year history of extensive perineal hidradenitis suppurativa who presented with subacute muscle weakness and sensory symptoms. He was subsequently diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma arising in the area of hidradenitis. The neurologic symptoms and signs resolved after complete excision of the tumor. This presentation is consistent with a paraneoplastic neuropathy, which has not been reported previously in patients with squamous cell carcinoma arising in patients with hidradenitis suppurativa.
KEY INDEXING TERMS
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hidradenitis suppurativa.South Med J. 1998; 91: 1107-1114
- Paraneoplastic ophthalmoplegia and subacute motor axonal neuropathy associated with anti-GQ1b antibodies in a patient with malignant melanoma.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2003; 74: 507-509
- Acrokeratosis para- neoplastica (Bazex syndrome) associated with primary cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma of the lower leg, vitiligo and alopecia areata.Br J Dermatol. 1995; 133: 121-124
- Humoral hypercalce- mia of malignancy in squamous cell carcinoma of the skin: parathyroid hormone-related protein as a cause.South Med J. 2001; 94: 329-331
- Elevated parathyroid hormone-related protein and hypercalcemia in a patient with cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma complicating hidradenitis suppurativa.South Med J. 1993; 86: 1403-1404
- Hypercalcemia in association with cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: occurrence as a late complication of hidradenitis suppurativa.Arch Dermatol. 1985; 121: 243-246
- Paraneoplastic syndromes involving the nervous system.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 1543-1554
- Herpes zoster of the head and limbs: electroneuromyographic and clinical findings in 158 consecutive cases.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 1215-1221
Accepted: August 31, 2004
Received: June 8, 2004
© 2005 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.