In this issue, Dr. Dario Ringach presents his views of the controversy surrounding the use of animals in biomedical research. His position on the scientific merits of animal use focuses on claims he ascribes to me. I thank the editors of The American Journal of the Medical Sciences for allowing me this response.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Is the use of sentient animals in basic research justifiable?.Philos Ethics Humanit Med. 2010; 5: 14
- Animal models in light of evolution. Brown Walker, Boca Raton, FL2009
- Are animal models predictive for humans?.Philos Ethics Humanit Med. 2009; 4: 2
- Animals and medicine: do animal experiments predict human response?.Skeptic. 2007; 13: 44-51
- Dogs, genes and drugs (letter).Am Sci. 2008; 96: 4
- Changes in the pattern of DNA methylation associate with twin discordance in systemic lupus erythematosus.Genome Res. 2010; 20: 170-179
- Biological complexity emerges from the ashes of genetic reductionism.J Mol Recogn. 2004; 17: 145-148
- Reductionism and complexity in molecular biology. Scientists now have the tools to unravel biological and overcome the limitations of reductionism.EMBO Rep. 2004; 5: 1016-1020
- Regulatory mechanisms of gene expression: complexity with elements of deterministic chaos.Acta Biochim Pol. 2006; 53: 1-10
- End of the interlude? (editorial).Nat Biotechnol. 2004; 22: 1191
- Foundation review: improved preclinical safety assessment using micro-bal devices: the potential impact on human discovery and drug attrition.Drug Discov Today. 2011; 16: 382-397
- Of mice and men: bridging the translational disconnect in CNS drug discovery.CNS Drugs. 2009; 23: 915-926
- Modern biomedical research: an internally self-consistent universe with little contact with medical reality?.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2003; 2: 151-154
- Can animal models of disease reliably inform human studies?.PLoS med. 2010; 7: e1000245
- Cancer models: systems for identifying new drugs are often faulty.Science. 1997; 278: 1041-1042
- Are animal models as good as we think?.Theriogenology. 2008; 69: 2-9
- Common genetic variants account for differences in gene expression among ethnic groups.Nat Genet. 2007; 39: 226-231
- Genomics and drug response.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1144-1153
© 2011 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.