A rare case of double lipoadenomas of parathyroid glands with hyperparathyroidism is described. A 56-year-old woman was referred for management of diabetes. Work up revealed: serum Calcium (Ca)=11.9 mg/dl, glomerular filtration rate (GFR)=103 ml/min/m2, parathyroid hormone (PTH)=60 pg/ml, Phosphorus=3.0 mg/dl, 25 hydroxy vitamin D (25 OH D)=16.5 ng/ml, 24 h urine Calcium=179 mg/day. Parathyroid sestamibi scan showed increased activity in the left thyroid and right thyroid lobe. Single photon emission computed tomography demonstrated uptake in inferior left and right thyroid lobes. Her serum calcium following successful bilateral parathyroidectomy was 9.3 mg/dl. Pathology showed double parathyroid lipoadenomas. After surgery, her serum Calcium and PTH normalized to 9.8 mg/dl and 32 pg/ml respectively. Lipoadenoma has been described as a very rare lesion of the parathyroid gland and is most commonly non-functional. PubMed search failed to reveal any case of hyperparathyroidism due to double parathyroid lipoadenomas.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Lipoadenoma of the parathyroid gland.Am J Surg Pathol. 1978; 2: 3-7
- Parathyroid lipoadenomas: a rare cause of primary hyperparathyroidism.Endocr Pract. 2006; 12: 131-136
- Parathyroid lipoadenomas and lipohyperplasias: clinicopathologic correlations.Am J Surg Pathol. 2008; 32: 1854-1867
- Functioning lipoadenoma of the parathyroid gland.Report of a unique case. N Engl J Med. 1962; 266: 121-123
- Functioning parathyroid lipoadenoma—report of four cases: clinicopathological and ultrasonographic features.Endocrinol Jpn. 1989; 36: 135-145
- Lipoadenoma of the parathyroid gland—a rare cause of hyperparathyroidism.Gulf J Oncolog. 2012; 1: 63-65
- Functioning lipoadenoma of the parathyroid: case report and literature review.Mt Sinai J Med. 1989; 56: 114-117
- Parathyroid lipoadenoma: a rare cause of primary hyperparathyroidism.Case report. Acta Chir Scand. 1987; 153: 635-639
- Functioning lipoadenoma of the parathyroid gland.Pathology. 1988; 20: 377-380
- Functioning parathyroid lipoadenoma.Report of a case diagnosed by intraoperative touch preparations. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1986; 110: 645-647
- A large functioning parathyroid lipoadenoma found in the posterior mediastinum.Am J Clin Pathol. 1981; 76: 89-93
- Functioning lipoadenoma of a supernumerary parathyroid gland in the mediastinum.Head Neck Surg. 1980; 2: 302-307
- Functioning lipoadenoma of the parathyroid gland.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1977; 101: 28-29
- Importance of intraoperative parathyroid hormone measurement in the diagnosis of parathyroid lipoadenoma.Head Neck. 2011; 33: 917-919
Accepted: May 10, 2013
Received: February 22, 2013
The author has no financial or other conflicts of interest to disclose.
© 2013 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.