Extraintestinal manifestatation such as prosthetic joint infection due to Clostridium difficile is a rare diagnosis. A 47-year-old female patient presented with chronic pain in left shoulder prosthetic joint. Plain roentgenogram of left shoulder prosthetic joint revealed anterior dislocation and loosening of prosthesis. The synovial fluid cultures and intraoperative deep joint cultures repeatedly grew Clostridium difficile. Patient was treated with antimicrobial therapy and surgical debridement with complete removal of hardware and revision arthroplasty.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Bacteremia due to Clostridium difficile—review of the literature.Int J Infect Dis. 2009; 13: e305-e309
- Clostridium difficile bacteremia, Taiwan.Emerg Infect Dis. 2010; 16: 1204-1210
- Chronic osteomyelitis due to Clostridium difficile.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1982; 284: 1217-1218
- Frontal bone osteomyelitis due to Clostridium difficile.Clin Microbiol Newsletter. 1984; 6: 6-7
- Chronic osteomyelitis caused by Clostridium difficile in an adolescent with sickle cell disease.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1996; 15: 1054-1056
- Chronic multifocal osteomyelitis due to Clostridium difficile in an adolescent with sickle cell anemia.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008; 27: 951-952
- Vertebral osteomyelitis caused by Clostridium difficile.A case report and review of the literature. Spine. 1988; 13: 111-113
- Extra-intestinal infections caused by Clostridium difficile.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2001; 7: 453-457
- Periprosthetic Clostridium difficile hip abscess imaged with In111 White blood cells.Clin Nucl Med. 1994; 19: 860-862
- Chronic septic arthritis and osteomyelitis in a prosthetic knee joint due to Clostridium difficile.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 1995; 14: 599-601
- Clostridium difficile infection of a prosthetic joint presenting 12 months after antibiotic associated diarrhea.J Infect. 1999; 39: 94-96
Accepted: April 23, 2013
Received: February 14, 2013
The authors have no financial or other conflicts of interest to disclose.
© 2013 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.