One of the prerogatives of the outgoing Southern Society for Clinical Investigation President is to choose the topic and speakers for the Presidential Symposium at the annual meeting. The choice of topic for the 2013 Symposium, “Iron Metabolism: Bedside to Bench and Back,” has its genesis in a rejection letter I received some 15 years ago.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A cis-acting element is necessary and sufficient for translational regulation of human ferritin expression in response to iron.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1987; 84: 6730-6734
- Serum transferrin receptor: a quantitative measure of tissue iron deficiency.Blood. 1990; 75: 1870-1876
- A novel MHC class I-like gene is mutated in patients with hereditary haemochromatosis.Nat Genet. 1996; 13: 399-408
- Hepcidin, a urinary antimicrobial peptide synthesized in the liver.J Biol Chem. 2001; 276: 7806-7810
- LEAP-1, a novel highly disulfide-bonded human peptide, exhibits antimicrobial activity.FEBS Lett. 2000; 480: 147-150
- Hepcidin and iron regulation in health and disease.Am J Med Sci. 2013; 345: 57-60
- Hepcidin antimicrobial peptide transgenic mice exhibit features of the anemia of inflammation.Blood. 2007; 109: 4038-4044
- Unlocking the mysteries of iron homeostasis and of the anemia of chronic disease: is hepcidin the key?.Blood. 2003; 102: 775
Dr. Means is a consultant to Xenon Pharmaceuticals, which is developing hepcidin-related therapeutics. He is also an editor of 2 forthcoming textbooks to which Drs. Roy and Barton have contributed chapters.
© 2013 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.