Circulating insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 and IGF-binding protein (IGFBP)-3 levels in the serum of Helicobacter pylori (H pylori)-infected patients were investigated.
The study subjects consisted of 54 patients with H pylori infection, and the control subjects included 27 patients without H pylori infection. There was no statistical difference in the age and sex distributions between the study and control groups. Pretreatment serum levels of IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 were studied in all the subjects, including the healthy controls. H pylori eradication was achieved with a triple drug regimen for 2 weeks, and 1 month after this treatment, the serum levels of IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 were measured. The post-treatment H pylori status by a second gastroscopy, antral histopathology and urea breath testing was tested.
The pretreatment serum levels of IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 of the study and control groups were not found to be different (P>0.05). H pylori treatment was successful in 42 patients in whom both serum IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 levels decreased with treatment, but the difference was only significant for the serum IGF-1 levels (P: 0.04). There was no change in the serum levels of IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 in the 27 patients with precancereous gastric lesions before and after successful H pylori eradication.
No supporting evidence of a major interaction between H pylori infection itself and H pylori-associated premalignant lesions with circulating IGFBP-3 levels could be shown. Nevertheless, successful eradication of this microorganism led to a statistically significant decrease in serum IGF-1 levels.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The effects of insulin-like growth factors on tumorigenesis and neoplastic growth.Endocr Rev. 2000; 21: 215-244
- Expression of the insulin-like growth factors (IGFs) and the IGF-binding proteins (IGFBPs) in human gastric cancer cells.Eur J Cancer. 2001; 37: 2257-2263
- Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3: relationship to the development of gastric pre-malignancy and gastric adenocarcinoma (United Kingdom).Cancer Causes Control. 2004; 15: 211-218
- Circulating insulin-like growth factors in patients infected with Helicobacter pylori.Clin Biochem. 2004; 37: 997-1001
- Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol 61.in: Schistosomes, Liver Flukes and Helicobacter Pylori. IARC, Lyon, Francee1994
- Classification and grading of gastritis: the updated Sydney system.Am J Surg Pathol. 1996; 20: 1161-1181
- Prospective study of colorectal cancer risk in men and plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding protein-3.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1999; 91: 620-625
- Plasma insulin-like growth factor-I and prostate cancer risk: a prospective study.Science. 1988; 279: 563-566
- Circulating concentrations of insulin-like growth factor-I and risk of breast cancer.Lancet. 1998; 351: 1393-1396
- Plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor-I and lung cancer risk: a case-control analysis.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1999; 20: 151-156
- Insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins: biological actions.Endocr Rev. 1995; 16: 3-34
- Novel promoter polymorphism in insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3: correlation with serum levels and interaction with known regulators.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 86: 1274-1280
- Genetic and nongenetic factors associated with variation of plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 in healthy premenopausal women.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2001; 10: 377-384
- Genetic and environmental components of interindividual variation in circulating levels of IGF-I, IGF-II, IGFBP-1, and IGFBP-3.J Clin Invest. 1996; 98: 2612-2615
- Insulin-like growth factor-I in Helicobacter Pylori gastritis and response to eradication using bismuth based triple therapy.J Clin Pathol. 1996; 49: 676-678
- Adenorcinoma and other tumors of the stomach.in: 9th ed. Sleisenger and Fordtran’s gastrointestinal and liver disease. Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia (PA)2010: 887-906
Accepted: September 19, 2012
Received: March 3, 2012
Supported by funding from our local university (Zonguldak Karaelmas University Scientific Investigation Funding Committee).
Disclosure: The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
© 2012 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.